The concept of a capsule wardrobe – a condensed collection of classic, signature styles to see you through the year – is becoming increasingly popular with fashion bloggers. With pregnancy comes your chance to give those fashionistas a run for their money – it’s the perfect time to create your own simple wardrobe to see you through pregnancy and beyond. If you’re in need of a little advice, we’ve put together the following guide, showcasing key pieces from JoJo Maman Bébé’s collection to give you some inspiration.
1. Before you rush out and panic buy, have a good look through your wardrobe and pull out anything that might work as maternity wear – think longline tops, stretchy dresses, wrap styles and empire lines. To streamline things further, consider packing away anything you know you definitely won’t wear until after your baby arrives.
2. When shopping for clothes, go for colours that will complement each other. Keeping to a simple colour palette means you can mix and match all your separates without worrying about clashing. You’ll find that a lot of capsule wardrobes are monochrome – blacks, whites and greys are easy to put together and can simply be dressed up or down with your existing shoes and accessories. Similarly, a nautical colour palette will work for any occasion but adds a little colour to your wardrobe.
3. Stick to your style: if you love figure-hugging pieces that show off your shape, wearing baggy styles will only make you feel frumpy. Likewise, if you’re most comfortable in loose, laid back cuts, tighter fits won’t give you the confidence you need. Stay true to yourself – it’s all about adapting your style to flatter your changing shape while staying comfortable in what you’re wearing.
4. Layering is key when it comes to maternity style. You’ll find your body temperature changing throughout the day, so when choosing your outfit keep in mind you’ll want to remove a layer or two later on. A stylish cardigan in the colder months or a wrap top in warmer weather work well, adding an elegant layer that’s easy to take off.
5. You probably know that JoJo Maman Bébé love stripes! Contrary to popular belief, stripes can be flattering, and are an easy way to add understated prints to your wardrobe. Choose classic Breton stripe for an extra versatile option – it’s cool and casual enough to wear with jeans and a leather jacket and can be dressed up for the office too.
6. Don’t be tempted to buy a size up in regular clothes instead of opting for maternity clothes. A work shirt in a larger size might accommodate your bust and bump but it will be too baggy in the shoulders and too long in the arms. Keep in mind overall length too – a regular stretchy T-shirt might fit over your bump but will most likely come up too short. Maternity T-shirts will have the extra length factored in, saving you from constantly adjusting your outfit – simply choose your pre-pregnancy size for a perfect fit.